Clueless Graduates:The Doom of University Education

Happy new month guys!!!😁 this month is definitely faster than January and I'm so grateful for that. This month so far has been quite stressful for me because of school work and all, honestly i think university students are going through a lot more than they are given credit for. "Uni" is this place where we are supposed to learn something that would help us make it in life but sadly things are not always as they should be. From what I've seen, what university students do nowadays is basically "la cram la pour". We read to pass exams instead of reading to understand all in the name of "I want to graduate" and by the time we graduate we end up graduating with little or no knowledge of the course studied . My greatest fear right now is that I'll graduate without adequate knowledge of my course and end up embarrassing myself and looking like a fool to the world. So the issue here is who is at fault and what can we do to solve this? Well I'm not going to put the blame on one party because we all know "it takes two to tango". The students are at fault for only wanting to graduate at all costs regardless of whether they understand what they are doing or not and the university faculty and staff are majorly to blame because they have failed to execute the whole point of providing education. The management are only concerned about the growth of the university, its rank and reputation and not about the good of the students. The lecturers all just want to "lecture"and get out of the class regardless of whether the students actually understand what they are being taught and can put it to practice. To this end I believe that in order for this issue to be solved both parties...the students and the faculty and staff should evaluate their behaviors and attitudes towards education and decide to start performing their expected roles diligently...if not, I believe the whole point of education is doomed to fail.

Comments

  1. Hi! Great post!!! Seriously so many times I stop to think... ‘Am I going to be able to remember these things in the next 1 year?’ I just hope our education won't be in vain. Besides blaming our lecturers, let's also try to honestly determine if as people we're ready to add value to the society as a result of our stay in the University

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you... if we as the students aren't ready to work or ready to make meaningful contributions to the society then it's safe to say all is lost.

      Delete
  2. I get that we only read to pass, but the environment isn't enabling. We are only assessed and rewarded based on what we can write on the exam sheet not what we understand. Which is why we have cheats on a first class.
    I'm just here for table breaking 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😃😃 unfortunately it is true that the environment is not enabling, I think the owners of universities ought to reform the assessment methods in a way that will encourage students to actually learn and understand stuff rather than cram or cheat just to pass an exam.

      Delete
  3. In Fed Uni....is like everything is in shambles...curriculum is never updated. I don't want to get started on Labs. The best u can get for yourself is a quality place for internship. Lord help us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we run a very dysfunctional educational system in most parts of Africa. And it's only normal that the products of such system have one or two scars from going through such system. However, there is always a navigation through failed systems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts